Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Twenty YEARS?!

Okay, a twenty year high school reunion is something that happens to Other People, old people, for instance my brother. Whose hair is almost entirely white and who has huge, knobby hands like a geezer.

But, um, suddenly I'm not just fat, but evidently old too.

As in, I'm on the committee for my 20 year high school reunion.

And weird, weird things are happening. Like, my mama's-boy high school boyfriend is supposedly on the committee too. (It turns out he isn't, or not to his knowledge anyway.) So I swallowed my pride and did the hard thing which was to email him and apologize for being a total bitch to him when we parted company, in freaking 1987 for God's sake, and not only did he email me back right away, it wasn't to tell me to f*ck off and die, it was to say "Ah, I was an ass too and it doesn't matter and how the hell are you?"

Oh. My. God. I have been carrying around such guilt and regret -- I was such a cow to him, and so had my head way up my ass. I mean, don't get me wrong, we needed to split up and bad, but I was a jerk and as a result lost not only what friendship I might have had with him (not much, realistically) but also with my best friend Allison. Who had the nerve to rat me out to him for stepping out without first decently breaking it off with him, and then the unmitigated gall to act as if I -- gasp! -- deserved it! And was even willing to -- gaaaah! -- carry on as if I was a human being allowed to make mistakes!

For this, naturally, I chewed her out and wrote her off. Hey, I did say my head was way up my ass, right?

And now he's sending me a pleasant email and acting all nice.

Wonders never cease.

No comments: